Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Little of This, a Little of That.

You know those Pinterest mom's everyone loves to hate? The ones that make soap, and design killer parties, and somehow have it all together, all the time? I'm not that mom. I'm so NOT that person. What i am though, i guess i would call is multifaceted. I have a certain natural knack for most things creative. I know, i know, SO modest right? But hear me out.

This is an abstract of the "Heart" nebula seen here. This was accomplished during naptime

I have been singing, approximately, since i could speak. I draw, i paint, i sculpt, i knit, i write, and i am an award winning photographer, and that's in my spare time. I also make skin care products, am a bitchin cook (who plans on opening a restaurant before she's 35), and in general if you give me a few hours, some alone time, and House (or Say Yes to the Dress) in the background, you're going to come back to something colorful and vibrant, and the house is probably going to smell great.

This photo was the first that ever won me an award. I was 19, and since then several hundred copies have been sold. Copyright protected. 

 This isn't to say i'm Susie Homemaker. My house is a mess for starters. But really, here is the problem. When you are at least moderately skilled in everything you're interested in, it is hard to stay interested for very long. 

Today's naptime project.
Of course i am always practicing, learning, getting better, but when there's no challenge? When a concept isn't mysterious or difficult anymore, i really just lose interest. So i cycle through hobbies, at the rate that most people cycle through shows to binge watch on Netfllix. Every couple weeks i have gotten bored again with whatever was keeping me focused and i switch interests again. This week, i am painting, and knitting, i guess in an effort to draw out the period before change happens again. In two days i have finished two paintings, and am half way done with making my son a knit Mjolnir toy, complete with his name in runes sewn into the side of the head of the hammer.





I do this all in my spare time. The time between raising my son, moving, dealing with the house, and the Army, and making sure my husband and son eat something resembling food at least 3 times daily. 



Yesterday's naptime project.

In short it's exhausting, but if i'm not busy, i am going stir crazy and this is sort of my own personal form of therapy. If i am busy, doing something creative, i can only devote, say, a quarter of my brain power to stressing about moving, finances, medical concerns, and Thoren's therapy, as opposed to the 100% of it, it can occupy when i have nothing else to zone in on and keep my busy. So our house is full of paintings that i have no where to put, dozens of knitted scarves, blankets, and wrist warmers. I have a shelf full of skin balms, and a box somewhere full of celtic knotted leather jewelry. Eventually i'll need a storage unit to deal with it all, but the alternative is total exasperation. So here we are. On the upside, we will never lack for things to put on our walls

No comments:

Post a Comment